Chief Master Sergeant Nicholas Tonino is the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 19th Airlift Wing, Little Rock Air Force Base, Arkansas. The wing is responsible for providing worldwide deployable C-130 aircraft, aircrews, support personnel, and equipment for Air Mobility Command and Air Expeditionary Force tasking’s while serving more than 10,000 personnel and families in the Little Rock community. Chief Tonino advises commanders and staff on mission effectiveness, professional development, military readiness, training, utilization, health, morale and welfare of the wing’s enlisted Airmen and takes action to address shortfalls and challenges. He provides leadership to the enlisted force and is the functional manager for group superintendents and first sergeants within the wing.
Chief Tonino entered the Air Force in September 2001 and graduated from the C-130 Crew Chief Course at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. Throughout his career, he has filled a myriad of roles including Squadron and Group Superintendent. He has deployed in support of Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom and completed tours in Georgia, Alaska, Okinawa, and the United Kingdom.
Prior to assuming his current position, he served as the Group Senior Enlisted Leader, 515th Air Mobility Operations Group, Yokota Air Base, Japan.
2005 Airman Leadership School, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
2005 Associate of Applied Science in Aircraft Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Montgomery, Ala.
2008 Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Fla.
2010 Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
2012 Master of Science in Strategic Intelligence Management, Henley-Putnam University, Santa Clara, Cali.
2012 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Kadena AB, Japan, by correspondence
2013 Jet Engine Mishap Investigation Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2013 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Course, National Defense University, Washingron, D.C., by correspondence
2013 Professional Manager’s Certification, Community College of the Air Force, Montgomery, Ala.
2014 Marine Corps Staff Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Camp Hansen, Okinawa, Japan
2016 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II Course, National Defense University, Washingron, D.C., by correspondence
2016 Advanced Maintenance Superintendent Course, Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Operations School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2017 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2019 NATO Non-Commissioned Officer Orientation Course, NATO School Oberammergau, Germany
2021 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation, Judge Advocate General’s School, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2021 Command Chief Master Sergeant Candidates Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
1. September 2001 – October 2001, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. October 2001 – August 2002, Student, C-130 Aircraft Maintenance Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. August 2002 – May 2004, Assistant Dedicated Flying Crew Chief, 71st Rescue Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga. (March 2003 – May 2003, Crew Chief, Undisclosed Location)
4. May 2004 – November 2007, Dedicated Flying Crew Chief, 517th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
5. November 2007 – November 2010, Quality Assurance Inspector, 3rd Maintenance Group, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
6. November 2010 – November 2011, APG/Specialist Section Chief, 537th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Joint Base ElmendorfRichardson, Alaska
7. November 2011 – July 2012, Expediter, 909th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Kadena AB, Japan
8. July 2012 – March 2013, Production Superintendent, 909th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Kadena AB, Japan
9. March 2013 – April 2015, Lead Production Superintendent, 909th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Kadena AB, Japan
10. April 2015 – November 2015, Maintenance Superintendent, 909th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Kadena AB, Japan
11. November 2015 – May 2017, Quality Assurance Superintendent, 100th Maintenance Group, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, United Kingdom
12. May 2017 – November 2019, Superintendent, 100th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
13. November 2019 – May 2021, Superintendent, 100th Maintenance Group, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
14. May 2021 – June 2022, Senior Enlisted Leader, 515th Air Mobility Operations Group, Yokota Air Base, Japan
15. June 2022 – Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 19th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
2014 Distinguished Graduate, Advanced Course, Marine Corps Staff NCO Academy
2014 Honor Roll, Advanced Course, Marine Corps Staff NCO Academy
2016 Academic Excellence Award, Advanced Maintenance Superintendent Course, AMMOS
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant May 1, 2017
Senior Master Sergeant March 1, 2015
Master Sergeant July 1, 2012
Technical Sergeant July 1, 2009
Staff Sergeant June 1, 2005
Senior Airman September 2, 2003
Airman First Class November 2, 2001
Airman Basic September 17, 2001
(Current as of June 2022)