PRINT | E-MAIL
Colonel John Schutte is Vice Commander, 314th Airlift Wing, Little Rock Air Force Base, Arkansas, and oversees the nation's C-130 "Center of Excellence" for tactical airlift. The wing's mission is to train C-130 aircrew members from across the Department of Defense and 47 partner nations.
Colonel Schutte received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps after graduating from the University of Virginia. His assignments include operational and staff tours at United States Air Forces in Europe, the Pentagon, Pacific Air Forces, and U.S. Air Forces Central Command. Operationally, he has participated in Operations JOINT FORGE, JOINT GUARDIAN, ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, TOMODACHI, and the Pan Sahel Initiative.
He commanded the 386th EOSS, leading a team of Airmen who provided operations and airfield support for assigned and transient aircraft and personnel deployed in support of operations throughout the CENTCOM AOR. While in command, he re-established a military-to-military relationship with the Iraq Air Force and helped lead the Wing to its first-ever participation in a multinational exercise. Colonel Schutte previously served as a strategist in the Chief of Staff of the Air Force’s Strategic Studies Group (SSG), providing the Chief with advice and information on the strategic environment and other topics of interest to support him in his role as a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He is currently a Ph.D. Candidate at Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.
1999 Bachelor of Arts in History, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
1999 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Master of Arts in International Relations, Oklahoma University, Okla.
2006 Master of Arts in Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2007 Air Force Intern Program – IDE Credit, Washington, D.C.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Master of Philosophy in Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space
Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air War College, by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Master of Arts in Public and International Affairs, Princeton University, Princeton, N.J.
1. September 1999 - February 2000, Awaiting Joint Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training (JSNUT),116th Air Control Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
2. February 2000 - November 2000, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training (JSUNT), 562d Flying Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. November 2000 - July 2001, Student, 53d Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
4. July 2001 - July 2005, C-130E Instructor and Evaluator Navigator and Operations Group Executive Officer, 86th Operations Group, Ramstein AB, GE
5. July 2005 - July 2007, Junior Military Assistant to the Deputy Secretary of Defense, then Action Officer in Skunkworks, A5XS, Air Force Intern, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
6. July 2007 - November 2008, Country Director, Middle East and Africa Division, International Affairs, Office of the Under Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. November 2008 – July 2011, C-130H Instructor Navigator, Chief Navigator, Wing Executive Officer and then Director of Staff, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota AB, JP
8. July 2011 – July 2012, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2012 – June 2013, Airpower Strategist, Chief of Staff of the Air Force’s Strategic Studies Group, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2013 – June 2014, Commander, 386th Operations Support Squadron, Ali Al Salem AB, Kuwait
11. June 2014 – June 2017, Ph.D. Student and then Ph.D. Candidate, Princeton University, Princeton, N.J.
12. June 2017 – Present, Vice Commander, 314th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
Rating: Senior Navigator
Flight Hours: More than 1,600
Aircraft Flown: C-130E/H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters Air Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Company Grade Officer of the Year, 86th Operations Group and 86th Airlift Wing
SAF/IA Team of the Year Award
Air Force Historical Association (AFHA) award for best SAASS history thesis of AY 2011-2012
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 11, 1999
First Lieutenant July 11, 2001
Captain July 11, 2003
Major June 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel November 1, 2012
Colonel May 1, 2017
(Current as of June 2017)