Colonel Charles E. Brown Jr., is the Commander, 19th Airlift Wing, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark. As the installation commander, Colonel Brown leads the "Home of C-130 Combat Airlift." He works in concert with the 314th Airlift Wing (AETC), 189th Airlift Wing (ANG), 913th Airlift Group (AFRC) and the 29th Weapons Squadron (ACC) in all aspects of C-130 training. As commander, Colonel Brown is responsible for organizing, training and equipping the personnel who operate, maintain and sustain more than 65 C-130 aircraft. The wing provides combat ready forces to meet combatant commanders' requirements globally. He ensures support for combat, contingency, and humanitarian requirements while providing for the health and welfare of more than 10,000 personnel and families at Little Rock AFB.
Colonel Brown graduated from Florida State University in 1994 with a degree in Criminal Justice and earned his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps. Colonel Brown's previous assignment was the Assistant Deputy Director, Joint Strategic Planning, Strategic Plans and Policy, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. His career has encompassed a wide variety of assignments from Command Control Officer, C-130H Navigator, F-15E "Strike Eagle" pilot, C-130E instructor pilot and Assistant Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Mobility Command. In addition Colonel Brown was a National Security Fellow at the John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University; Commander of the 62nd Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB; and Vice Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan.
Colonel Brown is a seasoned aviator with more than 300 combat hours and 160 combat sorties. He has participated in the U.S. Global War on Terrorism in Operation NOBLE EAGLE, Operation IRAQI FREEDOM, and Operation ENDURING FREEDOM.
1994 Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, Florida State University, Fla.
2002 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2008 Masters of National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2012 National Security Fellow, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. December 1994 - December 1996, Command/Control Officer, Andersen AFB, Guam
2. January 1997 - March 1998, Student, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, Pensacola Naval
Air Station, Fla., and Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
3. October 1998 - August 1999, C-130 Navigator, 517th Airlift Squadron, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
4. September 1999 - July 2001, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base,
Miss., and Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
5. August 2001 - May 2004, F-15E Pilot, Flight Commander and Chief of Training, 335th Fighter Squadron, Seymour-Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.
6. November 2004 - May 2006, Director of Staff, 41st Airlift Squadron, and Wing Executive Officer, 43rd Airlift Wing, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
7. June 2006 - June 2007, Assistant Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
8. July 2007 - June 2008, Student, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
9. July 2008 - March 2009, Chief of Wing Safety, 314th Airlift Wing, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
10. April 2009 - April 2011, Commander, 62nd Airlift Squadron, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
11. May 2011 - May 2012, National Security Fellow, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
12. June 2012 - May 2013, Vice Wing Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan
13. June 2013 - April 2014, Division Chief, Strategic Alignment Division, Joint Staff, Pentagon,
14. May 2014 - May 2015, Assistant Deputy Director, Joint Strategic Planning, Joint Staff Pentagon,
15. May 2015 - Present, Commander, 19th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
Rating: Senior Pilot
Flight hours: 1600 Hours
Aircraft Flown: F-15E, C-130E, C-130H, C-130J
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 30, 1994
First Lieutenant July 21, 1996
Captain July 21, 1998
Major Jan. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2008
Colonel July 1, 2012
(Current as of January 2016)